Job announcement: Research Assistant in Digital Arts & Humanities24th November 2020
The scholarly and professional field of scenography concerns the practice, conceptualization, execution and/or analysis of performance using design-led methodologies. In recent years, the performing arts has been altered by the development of digital audio-visualisation technologies, and it continues to transform under the auspices of XR (Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality) technologies. Via collaborations with computer science and electronic engineering, it has been a leading domain for human–computer and human–human corporeal experiments that are shaping the basis of quotidian (digital-cultural) reality. However, as XR technologies continue to develop, there is a deficit of content available to potential audiences; professional practitioners lack the knowledge and finances to engage them and art schools lack the knowledge to teach them. This project aims to address this gap. The successful candidate will work with us full-time for 2 months, assisting with research of the field and articulation of the funding application. Therefore, the candidate should have a passion for the performing arts and a deep knowledge of the scholarly area concerning their overlap with digital technologies, especially XR technologies.
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
• To work under the direction of the Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
• To support the research and writing process for an ERC grant application.
• To provide assistance in conducting research activities, including planning, organizing, conducting, and communicating research findings within the overall scope of the grant application.
• To coordinate and perform a variety of independent and team activities involved in the collection, analysis, documentation and some interpretation of information/results.
• To undertake tasks which may include recording research finding and preparing technical reports including conclusions and recommendations.
• To familiarize and become experienced with the ERC portal.
• To present information on research progress and outcomes to others responsible for the research project.
• To liaise with and provide guidance, as required, to any support staff and/or research students assisting with the application process, as agreed with the Principal Investigator/Grant holder.
• Ideally to contribute to the application writing process.
• To confer with the Principal Investigator in developing grant-writing, appraisal or ethical strategies and to discuss the interpretation of application queries and the preparation of text for the various fields.
• To perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Enterprise Ireland ERC Proposal-Preparation-Support Grant
• Good report writing and presentation skills
• Good analytical skills
• An ability to work independently to a tight schedule.
• Amicable, respectful and capable of working effectively within a team to achieve results.
• High levels of initiative are encouraged.
• Please note that Garda vetting and international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
Applicants should hold a post graduate degree (MA/MSc/PhD) awarded by a recognised institute of education.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
• Research experience is essential.
• Successful and independent attainment of public or private (philanthropic) funding.
• Previous laboratory experience and practices are desirable.
Skills & Competencies
• Advanced computer word processing skills, especially using Microsoft Office apps like Word and Excel.
• Advanced writing and typing skills.
• Advanced research skills.
• Evidence of excellent organisational and communication skills.
• Evidence of ability to conduct evaluation of data and project appraisal.
• Familiarity with university research ethics protocols.
Applicants should submit a full Curriculum Vitae to include the names and contact details of 2 referees (including email addresses), to:-
Name: Néill O’Dwyer
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org