Dr. Pan Gao22nd February 2018
[avatar user=”Pan” size=”thumbnail” align=”left” /]
Position: Research Fellow
Location: Stack B, Custom House Quay
I am currently a research fellow with the School of Computer Science and Statistics at Trinity College Dublin, working with Prof. Aljosa Smolic on the project of V-SENSE. I obtained my Ph.D. degree in electronic engineering from the University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Toowoomba, Australia. Upon completing my PhD study in 2016, I have been appointed as a lecturer at the School of Computer Science and Technology, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, China, where I conducted scientific research, lectured, and supervised students. From June 2016 to July 2016, I was a visiting doctoral student with the School of Computing and Mathematics, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, Australia. My research broadly concerns video/image compression and transmission, with an emphasis on error-resilient video coding and operational rate-distortion theory. I received the Publication Excellence Award from USQ in 2015, and the Certificate of Appreciation from Journal of Electronic Imaging twice for serving as a regular reviewer.
My current research interests lie in processing and compression of volumetric video, including image-based 3D video, e.g., multi-view video (MVV), multi-view video plus depth (MVD), and geometry-based 3D video, e.g., point clouds and 3D mesh.
- P. Gao, W. Xiang, and D. Liang, “Texture-distortion-constrained joint source-channel coding of multi-view video plus depth based 3-D video,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, to appear, Oct. 2018.
- P. Gao, Q. Peng, and W. Xiang, “Analysis of packet-loss-induced distortion in view synthesis prediction-based 3-D video coding,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 2781–2796, Jun. 2017.
- W. Xiang, P. Gao, and Q. Peng, “Robust multiview three-dimensional video communications based on distributed video coding,” IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 2456 – 2466, Dec. 2017.
- P. Gao and W. Xiang, “Disparity vector correction for view synthesis prediction-based 3-D video transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia , vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1153-1165, Aug. 2015.
- P. Gao and W. Xiang, “Rate-distortion optimized mode switching for error-resilient multi-view video plus depth based 3-D video coding,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1797-1808, Nov. 2014.
- Emin Zerman, Pan Gao, Cagri Ozcinar, Aljosa Smolic, “Subjective and objective quality assessment for volumetric video compression”, IS&T Electronic Imaging, Image Quality and System Performance XVI, Burlingame, California, 2019.
- P. Gao, C. Ozcinar, and A. Smolic, “Optimization of occlusion-inducing depth pixels in 3-D video coding,” IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing (ICIP) 2018, Athens, Greece, Oct. 2018, pp. 3608-3612.
- P. Gao, W. Xiang, and Manoranjan Paul, “Joint texture and depth map coding for error-resilient 3-D video transmission,” Accepted for publication to IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing (ICIP) 2017, Beijing, China, Spet. 2017.
- P. Gao, W. Xiang, and B. Wang, “Optimal mode selection and channel coding for 3-D video streaming over the Internet,” IEEE Int. Conf. Multimedia and Expo Workshops (ICMEW) 2017, Hong Kong, Jul. 2017, pp. 31-36.
- B. Wang, Q. Peng, J. Chen, and P. Gao, “A low-complexity error concealment algorithm for video transmission based on Non-Local Means Denoising,” IEEE Int. Conf. Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP 2016), Chengdu, Dec. 2016, pp. 1-4.
- P. Gao, W. Xiang, and L. Zhang, “Transmission distortion modeling for view synthesis prediction based 3-D video streaming,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2015), Brisbane, Apr. 2015, pp. 1448–1452.
- P. Gao and W. Xiang, “Modeling of packet-loss-induced distortion in 3-D synthesized views,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP 2015), Singapore, Dec. 2015, pp. 1-5