Automatic Irish Sign Language Recognition18th October 2018
Proposed by: Sebastian Lutz, Tejo Chalasani, Koustav Ghosal
CNN for gesture recognition has been applied for American Sign Language extensively. There has been some effort and research for doing automatic Irish Sign Language(ISL) detection , which looks into applying techniques like SVM, PCA, HMMs for ISL recognition. However applying deep learning for ISL hasn’t been researched to our knowledge. With the advent of good gesture recognition architectures in deep learning, it would be a good idea to apply the existing models to Irish Sign Language recognition. The aim of this project is to
- Understand Deep Learning Concepts
- Look into existing Gesture Recognition Models
- Learn tools like Caffe/TensorFlow/PyTorch.
- Collect Training and Testing Data for Irish Sign Language
- Getting the existing dataset from 
- Creating a dataset with help of the Irish Sign Language Club. Are the two options the student can explore in addition to any other ideas he/she can come up with.
- Applying the existing models to Irish Sign Language, and potentially publish results in the Irish Computer Vision Conference along with the dataset if created.